Now for the lowdown of how to get your Iranian visa on arrival at the Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport (IKA).
1. Get off your flight
Head towards the border security and don’t worry about your bags, you’ll pick them up after border control.
2. Go to the travel insurance desk
- If you have insurance already: get your insurance stamped and verified. We travel with World NOMADS and had no troubles what so ever in Iran, even with a little visit to a hospital along the way.
- If you don’t: buy some Iranian travel insurance at the counter ($16 for 1-31 days)
3. Go to the visa window and answer some questions
Smile, hand over your passport and answer the following questions;
“Do you have a letter of invitation?”
They’ll now know you’re applying for a visa on arrival.
4. Fill in some forms
After that riveting conversation, you’ll get a form to fill out with the usual visa questions;
- Passport details
- Home address
- Job (I would advise against writing blogger or anything to do with journalism)
- Adress while in Iran (The name and address of your first night in Iran)
Once you give that back you’ll receive a little piece of paper with what you owe for your nationality.
5. Go to the payment window
Go to the payment desk on the left.
- Give them your piece of paper and the amount of euros or dollars you need to pay.
- Sign your receipt.
6. Go back to the visa desk
Give them the receipt of your payment and if your visa is ready, they’ll hand it over to you, otherwise sit and wait.
7. That’s it!
The whole process took us about 45 minutes which is pretty quick. It could take up to 3 hours if you’re the last one-off your plane and there’s already a line.